Drug Solutions Podcast: The Evolving Landscape of Oral Solid Dosage Forms
PharmTech.com, 21 June 2022
In this episode of the Drug Solutions Podcast, Feliza Mirasol, science editor, discusses the changing parameters for oral solid dosage forms as driven by APIs and new chemical entities with Deepak Thassu, vice-president R&D and Regulatory Submission, LGM Pharma, and Marco Gil, senior vice-president of Sales & Marketing, Hovione.
Oral solid dosage forms are a dynamic, ever-changing landscape, driven primarily by more highly potent new chemical entities (NCEs) that require particularly specific formulations. In this Drug Solutions Podcast episode, Deepak Thassu, vice-president R&D and Regulatory Submission, LGM Pharma, and Marco Gil, senior vice-president of Sales & Marketing, Hovione, discuss how, in addition to NCEs, older, more established APIs are finding renewed life because these APIs are continually enhanced to have higher potency at lower doses, changing the way their formulation is handled. Looking toward the future, the bio/pharma industry is also tackling the issue of converting large-molecule (biologic) drugs into orally administered dosage, rather than parenteral administration, for increased patient compliance. Among the issues discussed are:
- The latest developments in oral solid dosage technology and methodologies
- What remains the biggest challenges in formulating APIs for oral solid dosage administration
- How the industry is tackling the issue of enhancing bioavailability through better oral solid dosage formulations/technologies, etc.
- Some “best-practice” approaches to formulating oral solid dosage products
You might be interested in:
- Learning more about our optimal solutions for complex drug products
- Making your drug soluble with Dispersome® technology