Use of Supercritical-CO2 Assisted Spray Drying for the production of Pharmaceutical compounds
To explore alternative particle engineering (PE) technologies for the production of pharmaceutical compounds:
- Spray-drying (SD) - well-known & enabling technology – great control over properties such as PS, density and morphology; single/continuous operation, easily scalable.
- Supercritical-CO2 Assisted Spray Drying (SASD):
- promising alternative PE technology;
- scCO2 is used as a cosolvent - assists the atomization process.
- potentially ↓ organic solvents use and ↓ the drying temperature for the
- particles formation - more eco and energy-friendly approach.
- suitable for thermolabile drugs such as biologics (e.g. proteins).