Hovione reported today recent capacity expansion and future plans in its sites in Portugal, Ireland and New Jersey.
New Generic Drug Developments
- Mometasone: Hovione’s DMF has been filed worldwide; it had been accessed and all deficiencies satisfactorily and promptly addressed. The relevant pre-approval inspection did not result in a Form 483 being issued. The product is now in routine manufacture
- Fluticasone: Hovione filed a DMF for Fluticasone at the FDA in 2002. This product is currently in commercial manufacture addressing the needs of 3rd parties for early intermediates and API for use in clinical supplies and registration.
Fluticasone was developed by Glaxo Wellcome and is currently marketed as Flonase®, Flovent® and Cutivate® by GlaxoSmithKline. Its worldwide sales amount to USD3bn.
- Simvastatin: Validation for this new generic compound as been successfully completed and a DMF has been filed. Hovione and CKD Bio, a Korean Company with extensive experience in fermentation of APIs, have established a joint collaboration to produce and market Simvastatin. This collaboration guarantees an integrated supply chain for Simvastatin with CKD Bio producing lovastatin that Hovione further transforms into Simvastatin. This collaboration has as primary objective manufacturing capacity and reliability of supply. Availability of API and a challenging specification remain the key issues surrounding this block-buster generic – a matter Hovione has addressed.
Simvastatin was developed by Merck and is currently marketed as Zocor®, by Merck & Co. and was the largest selling prescription drug in worldwide sales (USD6.67bn) in 2001. The markets of United States, France, Germany, United Kingdom and Japan account for 58 tons of API annual consumption.
Capacity increase for production of Minocycline
- In order to meet market demands, a project to increase the production capacity of minocycline by 40% is currently underway. This increase in the production line installation represents a significant investment, improving solid handling conditions and increasing the hydrogenation, filtration and drying operations. The additional capacity will go on stream as of Q3 2004 in phases and we expect stepwise increases as from the end of this year.
- Hovione has announced sales for the year ended 31st March 2003 amounting to US$70. Generic products for multi-customer remain with the largest share, however custom synthesis business continues to grow at a faster rate. Hovione is committed to serving both segments of the pharmaceutical industry with equal priority.
Beclomethasone dipropionate monohydrate
Betamethasone disodium phosphate
Hovione is an international group dedicated to the process development and synthesis of APIs (active pharmaceutical ingredients) serving exclusively the pharmaceutical industry. With FDA inspected plants in Europe and the Far East and a Technology Transfer Centre in New Jersey,USA, Hovione is committed to the highest levels of service and quality. Hovione’s capabilities include process chemistry, worldwide regulatory affairs, kilo to multi-ton manufacture of complex multi-step chemistry of APIs under FDA and ICH cGMP quality standards.
Hovione does not sell or offer to sell products to countries where they are protected by patents.